October 30, 2014
It is with a very heavy heart that I write this letter to you, our parents. As you are all aware that yesterday you received news through a letter from me or maybe you heard it on the news that the Archdiocese of Chicago has made the decision to close St. Ladislaus School. I want every parent to know, that I too was shocked and saddened when I heard that the Archdiocese had made the decision to close our school. There have been so many people, parents, friends, faculty, staff, volunteers and benefactors who have worked so hard to make St. Ladislaus the great school that it is.
There were many factors that were brought into the conversation when the Archdiocese made this decision. Two reasons for the decision to close St. Ladislaus were low enrollment and the proximity of other very good Catholic Schools to St. Ladislaus.
Please know the teachers and staff has worked very hard to bring a strong academic program to St. Ladislaus. As we move to the future we all need time to grieve the loss of our beloved school. After we are done grieving we will begin to move forward. I will make 2 promises to every family…. First, I will work diligently to help your family find a new school for your children and secondly, I will look for various ways to make the rest of the school year one full of memories.
I understand that there are many questions, but I ask you to please hold your questions until Monday, November 3, 2014. This meeting will give the Archdiocese the opportunity to speak with you about their decision to close St. Ladislaus School.
Please mark your calendar: Monday, November 3, 2014, 6:30 pm in the Church Hall: Mandatory Parent Meeting
Please know you and your family are in my prayers and my door is always open if you need any assistance.
No School: November 7th: Teacher Professional Development Day
World’s Finest Chocolate Fundraiser: Parents who have not returned their candy money must do so immediately. Please remember if you do not return your candy money the school will lose money. As of today we have over $2,000.00 in outstanding money that has not been returned. This is a great loss to St. Ladislaus School. Let’s get our candy money in.
Tuition: Every family should have received a tuition bill from Smart Tuition October’s tuition payment was due on the 5th or the 15th. It is important to pay your bill early to avoid a late fee. If you have not paid your October tuition payment as of today, you must make arrangements to do so immediately.
Dental and Hearing Forms: We are sending home Dental and Hearing form today. A form went home with your child with the results of the test they received.
Sacraments: Mrs. Kalata, St. Ladislaus Parish new DRE, has asked me to ask my parents if there are any students who will need to make their sacraments this year (Reconciliation and Communion) to please call school and ask for Mrs. Kalata.
Yearbook: Families have received information regarding this school years Yearbook. Please sign up before October 31st for a 10% discount on your Yearbook.
Parent Teacher Conference: The end of the first trimester is Tuesday, Nov. 18th. Report Cards will go home on Friday, Nov. 21st. Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held on Monday, Nov. 24th from 1:00 pm- 8:00 pm and Tuesday, Nov. 25th from 8:30 am- 3:00 pm. We are asking that every parent sign up for a Parent/Teacher Conference with their child’s teacher. A sheet is going home today to remind you of your conference time if you have already signed up for a conference time. If you haven’t scheduled a conference time the letter will ask you to schedule a conference.
Veterans Day Prayer Service: Tuesday, November 11th at 8:00: Please mark your calendars. We will be honoring parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, parishioners and veterans in our community who have served or are serving our country. Our students would like to honor the brave men and women who have worked hard to protect our country. We will honor our Veterans at the 8:00 am All School Prayer Service at the flag pole on Lockwood Ave (Weather Permitting)
· We would like to honor and Pray for Mr. Herrera who has been deployed for 400 days to serve and protect our country. We pray for him and his family.
· We are asking you to send names and/or pictures of any of your family member who has served in the military and protected our country. (Please put a name on the back of the picture so they can be returned). We would like to honor their service to our country.
Reminders for the Week: Afterschool Clubs Begin This Week…Please make sure you register today!
Monday, November 3, 2014:
· St. Ladislaus School Thanksgiving Food Drive Begins
· Market Day Pick Up: 4:30 in the school library
· Mandatory Parent Meeting: 6:30 in the Church Hall
Tuesday, November 4, 2014
· Election Day: Don’t Forget To Vote!
· Hot Dog Day
· Dress Down Day: Students are asked to wear Purple. Money raised today will be donated to the Epilepsy foundation of Greater Chicago as we celebrate National Epilepsy Month
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
· After school Science Club begins for 5th and 6th grade: 3:15 to 4:15 pm in the Science Lab
Thursday, November 6, 2014
· Afterschool Flag Football
· “ Kids Are Stars” Christmas Card money is due today
Friday, November 7, 2014:
· No School: Teacher’s Professional Development Day
· Friday, October 31, 2014: Happy Halloween
· Monday, November 3, 2014: Mandatory Parent Meeting: 6:30 in the Church Hall-
· Tuesday, November 4, 2014: Dress Down Day- Pizza Day… Wear your Purple
· Tuesday, November 11, 2014: Veterans Day. Please join us during the school morning prayer service as we remember and honor those who have served and protected our country.
· Tuesday, November 18, 2014: Dress Down Day- Pizza Day
· Monday, November 24, 2014: 12:00 Dismissal (No After School) Parent Teacher Conference 1:00- 8:00 pm
· Tuesday, November 25, 2014: No School- Parent Teacher Conferences 8:00- 3:00… Schedule your Conference today with your child’s Homeroom Teacher
· November 26-28, 2014: No School Thanksgiving Break